Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Sefra: In Five Letters

And so, we come to the timeless question; What's in a name?

Sef's settled form (or what I take it to be, he agrees) is that of a grey-striped house cat. Medium fur, whitish chest and belly, dark-grey stripes on a medium-grey coat, green eyes. Nothing big, nothing that says SHAZZAM! Just Sef as he is and will be. For a few hours as he was settling he was a deep faun Somali, but that didn't seem to work well enough. Sefra, as a name, goes better with the Somali, though, I think.

You'd think a name like Sefra would go with some exotic Ancient Egyptian temple cat, who got mummified and then dipped in gold and jewels. But he's just my Sef. So, considering that, I have no idea why he's Sef.

He's watching the mockingbirds land on the garden fencing, now. There's a pair of them that lives along our walk home. They sing most of the day, but when the chicks were hatched they screamed quite impressively. And now they're forming a conspiracy with the starlings to eat all of our tomatoes.

I've been a great fan of Ancient Egypt since I was seven or so, and I made Sef a cartouche online.

No comments: